Eating healthy can be a lot of work and sometimes just plain annoying. Checking calorie counts and reading nutritional levels can take all the fun out of a healthy diet. Learning to cook simple, healthy recipes yourself is a great way to eat well and stay healthy.
Eating a sensible and well-balanced diet can help reduce weight and increase overall good health. When you eat well you feel good, and who doesn't like to feel good?
Below we will show you some of the benefits of eating healthily and share with you some excellent recipes to get you started.
The Benefits Of A Healthy Diet
There are many advantages to maintaining a healthy diet. Below are five ways eating properly can help you to lead a healthier and happier life.
- Helps to control weight - You don't need to starve yourself or start one of the many fad diets out there to lose weight. Careful consideration in the meals you cook and the ingredients you use go a long way in controlling your weight and keeping you healthy.
- Improves your mood - Not eating properly can leave you feeling irritable and depressed. Eating well not only energizes you but leaves you feeling healthier. This has the knock-on effect of improving your mood.
- Increases productivity - When you are hungry you get tired more easily, and you may find it harder to concentrate on your work. A good healthy diet leaves you feeling energized and focused leading to increased productivity.
- Makes you healthier - A pretty obvious choice. A healthy balanced diet in conjunction with an exercise plan provides all your bodily needs. Cutting out that extra bar of chocolate or saying no to the next slice of cake all helps to make you a happier and healthier person.
- Improves appearance - Eating a well-balanced diet doesn't only affect your health but also your appearance. With a limited sugar intake and a full range off-of fruits and vegetables in your diet, your skin can look extra healthy and radiant.
Three Of The Finest Healthy Recipes For You To Try At Home
Eating healthy doesn't mean you can't enjoy your food. The most important part of any diet is that it is well balanced. Eating healthy is easier if your meals are easy to cook and taste great. Below are three of the tastiest but healthy meals you can prepare at home.
Tuna And White Bean Crostini
This Italian dish meaning “little crusts” is a fantastic choice for those looking for fat burning recipes that you can eat for a light lunch or dinner.
- One can of tuna in olive oil (5oz)
- One can of white beans (15oz)
- 2 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp of chopped fresh parsley
- Whole wheat country bread
- Coarsely grated Fontina cheese (2oz)
- Preheat your broiler with the rack in the highest position.
Prepare your tuna and white bean salad:
- Drain the tuna and white beans and put into a bowl.
- Add the tuna and white beans the lemon juice and chopped parsley.
- Season with a ¼ teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Lay four slices of bread on broiler-proof baking paper.
- Cover evenly with your tuna and bean salad.
- Sprinkle your cheese over the top of the slices.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
Mexican food is delicious, and if you are looking for high protein, low carb recipes to enjoy at meal times, you can't go wrong with this mouthwatering and healthy dish.
- 1 pound of lean ground turkey. (You can also use beef)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp of taco seasoning.
- 2 cups of chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup grated reduced fat cheddar
- 6 cups of shredded lettuce
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1/2 cup salsa or enchilada sauce
- Cook meat in a skillet over a medium heat until brown. (this should take about 8 minutes)
- Drain the fat and add taco seasoning and ⅓ of a cup of water
- Cook for 5 minutes while stirring constantly
- Arrange four plates with your meat, tomatoes, cheese, guacamole, lettuce and salsa.
- If you wish you can also add a spoonful of sour cream, Greek yogurt is also appetizing
One Pot Lemon Herb Chicken & Rice
If you're looking for healthy recipes for weight loss, this tasty and easy to make one pot dish, might be just the thing for you.
- Four boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp of low-fat butter
- Three teaspoons Italian seasoning.(you can buy this in any well-stocked store)
- 1 cup uncooked rice (brown).
- 2¼ cups chicken broth ( you can make this yourself or buy it ready-made)
- The juice of 1 lemon.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large pan or skillet.
- Season the chicken with a small amount of salt and pepper
- Add two teaspoons of Italian seasoning.
- Cook the chicken in butter for 1-2 minutes each side. (It should be golden brown on both sides)
- Take the chicken out of the pan and place to one side on a sheet of kitchen towel to absorb any extra fatty juices.
- Add the rice, remaining Italian seasoning, chicken broth and lemon juice to the pan
- Place the chicken in the pan on top of your other ingredients, cover and cook gently over medium-low heat for 20-25 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and lemon wedges for squeezing.
Eating healthy foods should be a natural process. Offering many clear benefits, a healthy diet is essential to maintaining a healthier happier life. Often when dieting or trying to eat healthily, the range of foods available can sometimes seem unexciting.
As we have shown, with just a small example of the available recipes, eating properly can be an enjoyable experience as well as a healthy one.